There are many races that share the lands of Yaril. Some have embraced a common civilization with men, some have elaborate cultures apart from humanity, and others are willfully evil or barbaric.
These peoples are parts of the great civilizations, either their own or together with men and other races.
- Imperials – Proud men of the southern continent, who forged the Southern Kingdoms into the great and powerful Empire
- Northmen – A mixture of Iceborn and Imperial lines, after the centuries-old conquest of Snowreach
- Macians – The dark-skinned sailors and merchants of Macia hail from desert sands and secluded ports
- Mancalians – The swarthy Mancalians are known for their skill at art, trade and treachery
- Anidians – The honorable Anidians are mystical and exotic to those outside of their islands
- Imperial Dwarves – Survivors of the Harrowing of Hollowmount, these ‘city dwarves’ have assimilated into Imperial culture
- Rampart Dwarves – Most dwarves consider the Rampart Mountains their homeland, and these mountain dwarves are suspicious of their city-born cousins
- Yavana – The tall and cryptic Yavana are said to be the creations of the Elder Race, as servants and companions. Their skill with magic is unmatched.
The Wild Races
These races have embraced a wilder existence. While their cultures may be quite complex, they might live in forests, a nomadic existence on the plains and deserts, or something similar.
- Iceborn – The barbarian Iceborn inhabit the northern wastes of Firend, the Spire Coast and others. Tough and uncompromising, they live by their own laws, traiditions and sense of honor.
- Naru – Nomads of the Macian Desert, this mysterious race of men knows the secret places within that waste’s lost cities
- Kalothim – The horseborn barbarians and frequent scourge of the western half of the Empire, the Kalothim are riders without equal.
- Wildenfolk – The Wildenfolk, friends of the elves, are humans who have forsaken civilization to live in the elven style.
- Elves – A beautiful and ancient culture, the elves live in their beloved forests throughout the world. They are suspicious of outsiders, though some have found lives in civilization as guides, artisans and herbalists.
- Faekin – The strange and diminutive Faekin live in quiet hidden place, in the hills, valleys and forests.
- Lizardmen – Savage and primitive, the Lizardmen live in marshes and other forsaken places
- Minotaurs – Creatures of the mountains, the tribes of the Minotaurs are fierce and territorial.
- Mooncriers – Stoic and peaceful, this race is held in high regard by druids and elves as sages of nature.
The Dark Races
These races have a reputation for evil. While some of them might build cities, they are marked by a cruel and decadent style. Many are suspected to be creations of the Elder Race during their war. Others were the victims of curses, or corrupted by dark gods.
- Drow – These elves have found their kingdoms in the Dark rather than the forests, and are said to be corrupted by the darkness beneath
- Ilavana – Yavana who forsook their ways and rebelled against their masters, this sadistic and ancient race craves power.
- Goblins – Living in warrens or under the thumb of other races, the goblins are said to share blood with the Faekin, but been perverted by the Dark beneath.
- Hobgoblins – Legends says the hobgoblins were once men, but their thirst for conquest led them to desecrate the temples of the gods, and were cursed with unending thirst for blood and horrendous forms.
- Kobolds – Inhabiting the deep places of the earth, Kobolds are said to be the servants of ancient dragons, long forgotten.
- Narathilim – The Narathim are either inhabited and corrupted by souls of the Narathi, or bear a direct bloodline to that evil dead race, depending on who you listen to.
- Orcs – The origin of the orcs is little known. They appeared as warriors and soldiers for the Narathi, and some think they were men corrupted and enslaved by magic. Now, their barbaric tribes wander the untamed lands and the Dark
- Scivians – This vulture-like race are widespread, even in the civilized lands. Known as scholars, but possessed of a foul and evil disposition.
Some races are dead, or if there are any left, it is not widely known.
- The Elder Race – The first race, the evidence of their empire lies to the East in Koros or scattered ruins around the world. Leonine and many-limbed, little is known of them besides the aftermath of their apocalyptic conflict.
- Marilina – The Shining Ones, this magical race is only known through legends and the remnants of their work: beautiful empty palaces in the mountains, glades of pristine beauty in the forests, great white roads that pierce the wilderness but fade and go nowhere.
- Narathi – The dark race used to frighten children at night, they may have been the creations of the Elders, or simply born up from the Dark beneath. Necromancers and dark mages, they were each kings to themselves and tried to enslave the world.
- Serpentmen – Save for their great city in the Desert of Fangs, there is little known of this race of creatures with serpents bodies but arms like men, save for the cryptic inscriptions in the city walls.